Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Sunday, July 7, 2019

Sunday Morning on the Kinsmans


Summits: North Kinsman (4,293'), South Kinsman (4,358')
Trail route: Mt Kinsman Trail, Kinsman Ridge Trail
Trail conditions: Wet trail from recent rain, muddy areas and some dry sections
Weather: Cool to warm temps, clear blue sky with lots of sunshine
Total miles: 10
Total time:  05:59:42

After three days of stifling heat and humidity the weather changed overnight. A front came through with downpours and wind bringing cooler temps and drier air. I have a very low tolerance for hot, humid temps so it was worth the wait. I needed North and South Kinsmans for July so this would be a good day for those summits.

I got an early start and was on the road heading for the trailhead before sunrise. The sky was just beginning to brighten up and I was going slow and keeping an eye out for moose. Sure enough just where I had seen moose beside the road in the past one ran out in front of me. I had enough time to break and he never slowed down as he ran across the road. That was the one and only close call. For the rest of the drive I enjoyed the changing colors in the sky as the sun rose.

I was the first one to arrive at the parking lot. I got out of my car expecting a barrage of biting insects but there were none. I was soon on the trail. About a half mile in there is a sugar shack beside the trail. It's usually locked up but this morning the door was wide open, I thought there might be a bear inside so I kept going. Just beyond the sugar shack I heard some shuffling through the woods on a small ridge to my left. I looked up to find a bear watching me. I have come up on a bear before during a hike and I have to admit that it is a little unnerving each time. I made some noise by tapping my trekking poles and talking. The bear went his way and I went my way.

I passed by the spur path that goes to Bald Peak and would not be going there today. I continued up the Mt. Kinsman Trail to the Kinsman Ridge Trail. There was some great views at the trail junction. I met hikers along the way to North Kinsman. When I arrived at the summit I had it to myself. The views to Franconia Ridge were spectacular from the outlook. I took a break as it was a nice morning for basking. I soon heard some other hikers approaching and I continued my hike across the ridge to South Kinsman.

It was a great hike over to the summit of South Kinsman. Once again I had a summit to myself. This was my turn around point. After some photos and a snack I started my hike back to the parking lot five miles away. It wasn't long before I started seeing many hikers. Back on North Kinsman I stopped briefly, then it was all downhill from here.

It was a non-stop hike back down the Kinsman Ridge Trail and down the Mt. Kinsman Trail. I had never been down to the Flume so I took the path alongside a brook that turned into a very deep chasm. I was actually surprised how deep it was. A quick look down into the flume while I held onto a tree and it was back up to the main trail.

I was trying to do a sub 6-hour round trip hike today. I returned to the parking lot in 5:59, so that was a sub 6-hour hike! It was an enjoyable hike with excellent conditions, even the biting insects were tolerable. A great day to be up in the mountains!

Enjoy the photos and videos!

Early morning sky on the drive to the trailhead

Sun coming up on Cannon Mountain

The hike starts here

Fungi on a log

Saw a bear just past this sugar shack

Easy water crossing

Mossy cascade

Another easy water crossing

Did not visit Bald Peak during this hike

Lady slippers

Slug!

Mossy blowdown

Mossy trail

Muddy trail

Bog bridge

Approaching the Kinsman Ridge Trail

At the Kinsman Ridge Trail heading for the summit of North Kinsman

Bunchberry

North Kinsman outlook

Cannon Mountain

Cannon Mountain summit observation tower

Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge and Lonesome Lake below

Zooming in on Lonesome Lake

Enjoying the view

On my way to South Kinsman up ahead

Trail lined with bunchberry

Blue-beed lily

Summit cairn on South Kinsman

Labrador tea

Franconia Ridge in the distance from South Kinsman

On the way back to North Kinsman

Reindeer lichen

Cool burl

Beautiful deep blue sky

Almost back

Arriving back at the trailhead and a full parking lot

Crescent moon above Franconia Notch on the drive home






Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!


No comments:

Post a Comment