Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Sunday, June 30, 2019

Tom and Field and Avalon Before the Rain


Summit: Mount Tom (4,051'), Mount Field (4,340'), Mount Avalon (3,442')
Trail route: Avalon Trail, A-Z Trail, Mt Tom Spur, Willey Range Trail
Trail conditions: Wet and wetter trails with sections of mud
Weather: Cloudy, cool, humid, breezy on the summits
Total miles: 7.2
Total time:  4:15

Showers and thunderstorms were forecast for the entire weekend. While it was hot and humid on Saturday there was very little rain during the day. Sunday morning appeared to have a window of opportunity for hiking. My plan was to hike Mount Tom and if there was no rain I would hike over to Mount Field, down to Mount Avalon and back out. Mount Willey would have to wait until next June as thunderstorms were forecast to arrive around noontime.

The summits were in the clouds when I arrived at the Crawford Depot. I was soon on the trail. As I got up to the Mt. Tom Spur there was a gray mist permeating the forest. The air was cool but humid. Biting insects were almost non-existent. It was a quick trip up to the summit of Mt. Tom. A group of hikers arrived after me. They told me a moose had crossed behind me on the A-Z Trail. I had not seen or heard it.

My stay on the summit was brief and I began the descent to the Willey Range Trail. I met more hikers coming up Tom as I went down. It was a pleasant hike across the Willey Range Trail to Mount Field.  The cloud cover was hanging tough and once again there were no views on the summit. This was my turn around point. Another brief summit stay and then I began my descent. All trails were wet today from recent rain, some wetter than others. There was also some good sections of mud along the way.

When I got to the Mount Avalon spur trail it looked like I was below the clouds and that I might be able to get some views from the top of Mount Avalon. So I did the 100 yards to the summit and was rewarded with some partial views, better than nothing. It was here that I heard my first rumble of thunder off in the distance. With the upper cloud cover I could not see any approaching storms. I decided to make a hasty descent to try and beat any storms that might be bearing down on this area.

I met many hikers on their way up as I was going down. I kept hearing thunder and was glad to be on my way out. I arrived back at the parking lot as light rain was starting to fall. Off in the distance a large dark cloud was approaching with flashes of lightning and thunder. I call that great timing and will return to hike Mount Willey next June.

Enjoy the photos and videos!

 Low cloud cover on the Presidential summits

 Heading up into the clouds from Crawford Depot

 The hike starts here

Easy water crossing

Crossing a small cascade 

 The loop starts here

Hairpin turn on the A-Z Trail

Mossy brook

 Standing in the gloomy gray at the Mount Tom Spur

 Bunchberry and blue bead lilies

 On the gray summit of Mount Tom


Wet bog bridge

 A "view" from the summit of Mount Field

 My turn around point at the Mount Field summit cairn

 Descending Mount Field


 Crooked tree

 Mount Avalon up ahead

 The trails were wet and wetter


 There were partial views from Mount Avalon

 The Highland Center from Mount Avalon

A cloud covered Mount Webster

 Weather fit for a slug

 Lady Slipper

 Took the side path to Beecher and Pearl Cascades

 Beecher and Pearl Cascades

 Back at the Crawford Depot

 Lupines in bloom

Thunderstorm approaching after the hike







Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!




No comments:

Post a Comment