Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Hancocks in December


Summits: Mount Hancock (4,420'), South Hancock (4,319')
Trail route: Hancock Notch Trail, Cedar Brook Trail, Hancock Loop Trail
Trail conditions: Trail was well packed and solid with some minor drifting across the ridge along with some frozen bend-overs
Weather: Cold with temps in the teens and 20's slight breeze on the summit, blue sky and sunshine
Total miles: 10
Total time: 5:45

After a bout with a severe sinus infection last week I took the weekend off from hiking. The rest and antibiotics worked well and I was ready for a hike today. I decided to hike the Hancocks after learning the trail was well broke out and I could leave the snowshoes behind. Both trail conditions and weather were looking like a great day to hike the Hancocks.

I started my drive to the trailhead just befor sunrise. As I passed the Presidential summits I could see they were in the clear. Up ahead the sun was rising and shining on the Franconia Ridge summits. I arrived at the Hancock Overlook to an empty parking lot. There would be no other hikers in front of me.

The snowshoes stayed in the car and I hand-carried my microspikes across the Kancamagus Highway before I put them on. The trail was a hard packed white sidewalk with enough snow to cover all the rocks and roots. It's one of the reasons that make winter hiking enjoyable.

The water crossings were easy but not completely covered. There was open water on some and thin ice and snow cover on others. It was a quick trip up to the start of the loop. I veered left toward the North Peak. After a short descent the trail started its steep ascent. It's a relentless climb up to the summit of North Peak. Just before reaching the summit there was a cold breeze blowing so I added a layer. It was along here that I passed under the first of many frozen bent-over spruce trees.

From the North Peak outlook there were spectacular views under a clear blue sky. I kept moving on to the next summit after a short stop for photos. The trail across the ridge was a little more interesting with many bend-overs that required me to go under and they quickly became a nuisance. There was some minor drifting of snow that obscured the trail at times but there was a solid foundation underneath that made it easy to get through and no postholing.

I was expecting to see some hikers coming from the opposite direction but never saw even one. I reached the South Peak and made a brief stop for a few photos. I then started the very steep descent. The microspikes were working well in the hard packed snow and there was no ice hiding underneath that made it much easier to get down. It took me about ten minutes to get down to the trail junction from the top of South Peak and that completed the loop. I saw no other footprints but my own. There were no other hikers on these summits today.

As I continued down the trail I met my first and only hiker of the day. He told me he did not plan on reaching the summits today and would be turning around soon due to his late start. I had a good pace going due to the outstanding trail conditions. Just before reaching the Kancamagus Highway I heard a deafening roar that startled me. A Black Hawk medivac helicopter seemed to rise up out of the trees. It was so low that I actually thought it was crashing. Just about brushing the treetops it finally gained altitude and flew off.

I removed my microspikes at the Kancamagus highway and walked up to the parking lot finding only one other vehicle, obviously from the hiker I met. I could not have asked for better hiking conditions with great weather, "groomed" trails and amazing views. It was a spectacular day for hiking in the White Mountains!

Enjoy the photos and video!

Passing by the Presidential summits just before sunrise on the drive to the trailhead

I was the only one in the Hancock Outlook parking area

View from the Hancock Overlook


Lots of snow on the North Fork of the Hancock Branch

Snow is piling up on horizontal objects

Hiking along a solid white sidewalk

Ice formations in a brook

Water crossing


Slightly frozen water crossing

Turning onto the Cedar Brook Trail

Snow piling up everywhere

Convenient bridge

Another water crossing

Trail opens up to show lots of blue sky ahead

Turning onto the Hancock Loop Trail

Cool looking ice formations

Up North Peak and down South Peak

Gray jay above me

Arrow Slide

Upper Arrow Slide

North Peak my first destination

Icicles

Stopping to enjoy the view through a clearing along the trail

The first of many bend-overs to get through

On the summit of North Peak

South Peak my next destination

Sun shines on North Peak

On the trail between North and South Peaks

Tree is shrinking or the snow is getting deeper

Lots of snow on the ridge

Sun shines through the trees onto a blown over trail along the ridge

Trail is nicely packed along this section


Franconia Ridge in the distance

South Peak outlook

A view from the outlook

Mount Carrigain

Mount Chocorua

North Tripyramid

Arrow Slide seen while negotiating the steep descent from South Peak

The 2.6 mile loop is complete

Black Hawk medivac helicopter flies over

The hike ends here

Only one other vehicle in the parking lot when I return

Sunset on the drive home





Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!



No comments:

Post a Comment