Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Sunday, November 4, 2018

Return to Mount Garfield for November


Summits: Mount Garfield (4,500')
Trail route: Garfield Trail, Garfield Ridge Trail
Trail conditions: Bare ground, mud, wet leaves to long sections of flowing water in the trail
Weather: Cold, windy and cloud covered at the summit
Total miles: 10
Total time: 5:40

Recent rain had water levels high and there was frigid wind chills in the forecast. I was looking for a hike with minimal easy water crossings and something below treeline out of the wind. It was a tough decision as I have done all the easy, short hikes for November on the 48 4,000 footer list. Last Wednesday I hiked Mount Garfield and was somewhat confident that I knew what the trail conditions might be after the rain. I needed Garfield for November so I decided to hike it again.

The clocks were turned back last night and the extra hour of sleep felt good. It was nice to drive to the trailhead in daylight. The wind was starting to calm down after a very windy night. There was a cloud cover and the high summits could not be seen. The forecast called for clearing but I knew better than to rely on that.

I arrived at the trailhead with several vehicles ahead of me and more coming in. I was soon on my way up the trail. My first concern was the water crossing and if I would be able to step across on the rocks. I was quite surprised to see that while the water was higher than normal it was still very easy to cross on the rocks. I carefully tested the rocks to make sure they were not coated with ice, they were ice free.

There is a way around impassable high water on this trail using the snowmobile bridges. Just before the first water crossing turn left, keep the brook on your right and follow a low ridge that leads to the first bridge, cross the bridge then cross the Garfield Trail and the other bridge will be in sight. Cross this second bridge and turn right on the other side. Keep the brook on your left and you will come back onto the Garfield Trail.

As I got further up the trail there was flowing water coming down. With all the recent rain there was much more water on the trail then last Wednesday. I was soon tromping up through the water. Further up the trail was frozen. When I arrived at the Garfield Ridge Trail junction I put on my microspikes for the steep final ascent to the summit. As I was going up I met two hiking friends coming down, Steve and Guy. We stopped and chatted for a few minutes then went our separate ways.

Just below the summit there was a cold wind blowing. I ducked into a small clearing in the woods where some other hikers were gathered. I put on my down jacket for the short walk to the summit. Once again, like last Wednesday, I had the summit to myself. What I didn't have was the spectacular views that I had the other day. A few photos and I dropped back down off the summit. I continued on down to the trail junction. I removed my down jacket and microspikes.

It was a very wet descent. I made it a point to walk through the water in the middle of the trail as I felt it was safer than stepping on the exposed, wet, slippery and possible icy rocks. Back down out of the snow and watery trail it was quite Fall-like again. I made it across the water crossings without any problem. Back at the trailhead my feet felt warm and dry after walking through all of that water on the trail. It was a great test of the water tight integrity of my winter boots!

Today was another great hike in two seasons, Fall and Winter. The lower section of trail was a cool, crisp hike on a trail covered with colorful leaves while the upper trail was full on Winter with snow, ice and a cold windchill at the summit. I was hoping for a little more Fall hiking this season. I've got the feeling that Winter has settled in on the summits and will now be here until next Spring.

Enjoy the photos and videos!

Sunrise on the drive to the trailhead

The hike starts here

A nice start to the hike 

No problem with this water crossing

Somebody's front door

First water crossing and all others were no problem




Flowing water on the trail

Ice formations on the branches

This pooch is pooped and gets to ride in the backpack

At the Garfield Ridge Trail junction and about to go up the steep 0.2 to the summit

Met Steve and Guy coming down from the summit

The summit is in sight

Ice formations on the summit ledge

"View" from the summit

Another "view" from the summit

One more "view" from the summit

Descending the Garfield Trail

Snow covered trees


Small brook

Back to smooth trail and no running water flowing down it 

Hiking back into Fall

Coming back to the water crossings



Cluster of mushrooms

Orange Jelly Fungus (Dacrymyces palmatus) also sometimes known as witch's butter

Large mushroom

The last few steps to the trailhead

Resting back at the trailhead after 10 miles and 6 hours later







Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!



No comments:

Post a Comment