Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Sunday, November 18, 2018

Mid-Winter Conditions on the Hancocks


Summits: Mount Hancock (4,420'), South Hancock (4,319')
Trail route: Hancock Notch Trail, Cedar Brook Trail, Hancock Loop Trail
Trail conditions: Snow both packed powder and loose, some loose granular, no significant postholing
Weather: Cold with temps in the 20's, sunshine
Total miles: 10
Total time: 6:20

A check of the weather had me ruling out any above treeline hiking as there was cold temps and wind in the forecast. I needed the Hancocks for November and this was a well protected hike below treeline. I was fighting off the beginnings of a chest and head cold so I wasn't feeling in peak condition but felt alright otherwise. My only real concern today would be the trail conditions. We had two snowstorms this past week and I didn't know how well the trails would be broken out. So I thought a late start might put a few hikers ahead of me to break the trails if needed.

Some summits were in the clouds on the drive to the trailhead. The Presidential summits were mostly in the clear with just a few light clouds moving away. I arrived at the Hancock Overlook parking lot and two cars were already there. I was glad to see that, it meant there would be at least two people ahead of me breaking trail. I got layered up and hit the trail.

The first thing I noticed was no wind, not even a light breeze. It was cold but it felt good and kept the sweat factor down. The trail was well packed and I started out barebooting. The several water crossings were easy but I used caution on the snow-covered rocks. When I reached the Hancock Loop Trail I took the left trail to North Peak even though it wasn't as well broken out as the trail to South Peak. I started down the trail following bareboot footprints.

Just before starting up the steep section I put on my snowshoes and was glad I did. The snow was loose and I found it to be a tough climb. Halfway up there were two snowshoers coming down and that made the trail somewhat easier but it was still steep. I reached the summit and had it to myself. The views were spectacular and still no wind. I stayed long enough for a few pics then continued on to South Peak.

I had only seen two hikers so far but met many more on the way across the ridge. Some wore snowshoes, some had microspikes, some were barebooters. I don't think it made much difference what the preference was as far as traction or no traction as I didn't see any significant postholing. I arrived at the South Peak and had this summit to myself also. A few pics, something to eat and I changed into microspikes for the steep descent that I knew was ahead of me.

I started down and it was almost a continual glissade in the loose snow. I thought some of buttsliding but saw some inconspicuous roots barely noticeable in the snow so I decided against that. We'll need a little bit more snow for buttsliding. When I reached the trail junction the microspikes came off and I barebooted the remaining 3.6 miles to the parking lot. It was a pleasant hike out even though I was feeling unusually tired at this point, probably a combination of the chest/head cold and the steep up and down of the Hancock Loop Trail.

When I arrived back at the Hancock Overlook the parking lot was almost full. The sun was just about to go down behind the mountains as I changed for the drive home. The weather and trail conditions were actually much better than expected today. It's amazing how much snow there is for the month of November. It is clearly mid-winter conditions in the White Mountains!

Enjoy the photos and video!

 Sun about to rise from behind the Presidential summits on my drive to the trailhead

 Snow making in progress on Cannon Mountain

 View from the trailhead parking lot

 The hike starts here

 On the Hancock Notch Trail

 First water crossing

 Trail is nicely packed here

 Sun through a snowy forest


 Another water crossing


 Coming up on another water crossing


 I was glad for easy water crossings as there's several on this hike


 One more water crossing

 A low easy under blowdown


 Arrow Slide


 Bonked my head on the end of this fallen tree

 A view of South Peak through an opening in the trees

 On North Peak summit

 Outlook on North Peak



 On my way to South Peak

 Trail between North and South Peak

 On the South Peak outlook

 View from South Peak

 Chocorua and the Sisters

 Zooming in on Mount Chocorua

A view of Mount Carrigain and Signal Ridge

 Mount Carrigain

 Zooming in on the Carrigain summit tower showing nobody up there

 Starting a steep descent from South Peak

 A look over to North Peak

 Arrow Slide from South Peak


 Some wet sections of trail

 Back to nicely packed

 Lots of snow for November

 Back at the Kancamagus Highway

Sun about to set behind the mountains at the end of the hike





Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing all these great photos!!!! And great trip report, heading up tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just seeing your comment now. Hope you had a great hike!

      Delete