Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Saturday, November 24, 2018

Fishin' Jimmy to the Kinsmans


Summits: North Kinsman (4,293'), South Kinsman (4,358')
Trail route: Lonesome Lake Trail, Fishin' Jimmy Trail, Kinsman Ridge Trail
Trail conditions: Snow both packed powder and loose
Weather: Cool with temps in the 30's, high thin clouds and sunshine
Total miles: 10
Total time: 7:08

After two unseasonally frigid days the forecast was calling for milder temperatures today. I was undecided on what to hike until I saw hiking friend Jill had broken out the Kinsman Ridge Trail and submitted a trail report with current conditions. I liked the idea of hiking to a summit with known trail conditions so I decided to hike North and South Kinsmans today, two summits that I needed for November. I'd be hiking today while still fighting off the last remnants of a chest and head cold.

It was an early morning drive to the trailhead and the Full Beaver moon was setting. As the sky started to brighten I could see a high thin cloud cover. and there was a beautiful sunrise coming up over the Presidential summits. I arrived at the Lafayette Campground to find that the trailhead parking area had not been plowed but packed down enough by vehicle traffic that I was able to park without any problem.

My big decision now was whether or not to bring the snowshoes. Jill's trail report had said the hike could be done with just microspikes. I looked around and noticed other hikers were not bringing snowshoes so I opted not to bring them and go with just microspikes from the car.  The Lonesome Lake Trail was well packed. I also noticed that the Hi-Cannon Trail was broke out.

I reached Lonesome Lake and saw slushy footprints along the edge of the lake. I walked out among the footprints and got a quick photo before continuing around the Lake to the hut. I went past the Lonesome Lake Hut without stopping and headed up the Fishin' Jimmy Trail with its infamous PUDS (Pointless Ups and Downs). The trail was still well packed with just a small amount of loose snow. I could tell the temperature was getting warmer because chunks of snow were falling of the tree limbs all around me and occasionally on me.

I arrived at the Kinsman Ridge Trail and started to get my first amazing views. When I passed by the Mt. Kinsman Trail I took note that it had not been broken out yet. I had the summit of North Kinsman to myself and stopped briefly at the outlook for some photos. I then continued on to South Kinsman. It was along this stretch that the snow was a little more unconsolidated but there was no postholing. The trees through this stretch of trail were heavy with snow.

Through an opening of snow-laden trees I popped out onto the top of South Kinsman and made my way over to the summit cairn. The trees up here were heavily coated with snow. Once again I had the summit to myself. After something to eat while enjoying beautiful scenic vistas and a few photos I started my return trip. It was five miles back to the parking lot, up and over North Kinsman then down Fishin' Jimmy Trail and out Lonesome Lake Trail. With the warmer temps there was lots of snow dropping from the trees and I continued to get hit by the occasional snow "bombs".

I stopped briefly at the Lonesome Lake Hut for some water before continuing back down. I developed some upper leg muscle cramps when taking off my microspikes so I didn't put them back on. I thought it would be easy enough to get down Lonesome Lake Trail without them but I should've had them on. Although I didn't have a problem it would have been much easier with the microspikes.

After seven hours and eight minutes I arrived back at the parking lot. With mild temps and great trail conditions it was a very pleasant hike. Thanks to Jill and the others that broke trail on a very frigid Friday, it was much appreciated today!

Enjoy the photos and videos!

 Just before sunrise on the drive to the trailhead

 The hike starts here

 Lafayette Campground picnic table has several inches of snow on it
'

 Hi-Cannon Trail to Cannon Mountain is broke out

 Lonesome Lake Trail


 That's as far as I'm going to walk out onto Lonesome Lake

 North Kinsman

 South Kinsman

Almost to Lonesome Lake Hut

 Northeast Cannonball

 Looking across Lonesome Lake to Franconia Ridge

 Lonesome Lake Hut

Lots of snow in the woods

Steps on the Fishin' Jimmy Trail

Icy steep section

Convenient bridge

Interesting icicles

More steps



White tree tops against a blue sky

Mount Lafayette through the trees

North Kinsman up ahead

Mt. Kinsman Trail was not broke out when I went by on the way up

On the Kinsman Ridge Trail

Mount Liberty through snow covered trees

Mount Lafayette and Mount Lincoln

View from North Kinsman

A view of Lonesome Lake below with Lafayette and Lincoln across Franconia Notch

Mount Lincoln

Mount Lafayette

Cannon Mountain observation tower

Snow covered trees on North Kinsman

On my way to South Kinsman

South Kinsman

Snow coated trees

Branches heavy with snow

An opening through snow laden trees to the top of South Kinsman

Mount Moosilauke

South Kinsman summit cairn

Franconia Ridge from South Kinsman

Mount Liberty and Mount Flume

I'm surrounded by snow sculptures

Heading back to North Kinsman


About to ascend North Kinsman again


Cannon Mountain through the trees

Mt. Kinsman Trail is broke out as I pass by on the way down

Frosty mushroom

Lonesome Lake with Franconia Ridge in the background

A last look at Lonesome Lake before continuing my descent

Back at the trailhead after 10 miles





Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!



2 comments:

  1. Great trip report and photos as always. Looks like it was a great day! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete