Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Sunday, November 11, 2018

Autumn Hike to Tuckerman Ravine


Destination: Huntington Ravine
Trail route: Huntington Ravine Trail
Trail conditions: Packed snow up to Hermit Lake and loose snow up into the ravine
Weather: Cold and windy with clouds over the high summits
Total miles: 6
Total time: 4:30

After fighting off a viral "bug" for the past couple of days I was still feeling some lingering effects and was looking to do an easy hike. I've already done the easy 4,000 foot hikes for November and the windchills were forecast well below zero above treeline so I decided to hike up into Tuckerman Ravine. While it was still Fall I would be hiking up into full on winter conditions.

I was having a difficult time motivating myself to get out the door as I listened to the wind howling. I was getting a late start but it's a short drive to Pinkham Notch for me. The high summits were in the clouds. When I arrived at the Pinkham Notch Visitors Center it was very cold and windy. I put on several layers and was on my way.

I started the hike bare booting and had my microspikes just in case they were needed. The trail was well packed as expected. I was surprised to see many skiers making their way up. I didn't realize there was enough snow for skiing. I crossed over three new bridges on the Tuckerman Ravine Trail since the last time I was up here.

As I made my way up to Hermit Lake I thought that might be my turn around point as I was still not feeling up to par. The wind was blowing in the treetops but not so much down at trail level. When I arrived at the Hermit Lake cabin there was a cold wind blowing. I stepped inside the cabin and the caretaker was sitting there at the window. I had not seen that before in my many visits up there. I drank some of my hot tea and talked with the caretaker for a few minutes. It started to get very warm so I went back outside. I was feeling much better and continued up to the ravine.

The snow was loose and deep but snowshoes would not have worked very well and it actually would have been a much tougher climb with them. As I got closer to the headwall the wind decreased and it was quite tolerable. I had a temperature reading of 14°F. There was what appeared to be a snow ranger analyzing the snow for avalanche danger. Much further up the headwall in Left Gully was three skiers climbing up through fresh, unbroken snow. Right below the headwall would be my turn around point for the day.

I took some photos and videos then started my descent. Just after dropping down from the floor of the ravine I came across a hiker that was halfway into a hole underneath a large boulder. He pulled himself out and told me he had dropped his goggles into the hole. I got out my headlamp and borrowed one of his ski poles. I then crawled into the hole and saw the googles perched on a ledge about to drop off out of sight and reach. I managed to wrap the basket on the pole onto the line on the goggle pouch and brought it up out of the hole on the first try. A lucky break at which the hiker was grateful.

I continued down and the wind started to pick up again. It was a quick descent and I was soon back at the Pinkham Notch Visitor Center. It felt just as cold now as when I started the hike. Seems as though winter has arrived earlier than usual this year. It was an enjoyable hike to Tuckerman Ravine today!

Enjoy the photos and videos!

 Clouds cover the Presidential summits on my drive to Pinkham Notch

 Joe Dodge Lodge


 No avalanche warning...yet

 Lots of water flowing

 First new bridge on the Tuckerman Ravine Trail

 Cutler River

 Footprints on the Huntington Ravine Trail

 Second new bridge

 Third new bridge


 Huntington Ravine Fire Road is unbroken




 Raymond Path is unbroken



 Lion Head Trail is broke out

 Hermit Lake shelter

 Approaching the Hermit Lake cabin

 Lion Head

Not a day for basking at the caretaker cabin

 Low clouds over Tuckerman Ravine

 A cascade in Tuckerman Ravine

 Getting closer to the floor of the ravine

 Approaching the first aid cache

Coming up onto the floor of the ravine

 Snow ranger analyzing the snow to determine avalanche danger

 Looking up at the headwall

My turn around point

Enjoying the view

 Ice high on the headwall

 A view of Wildcat Ski Area

 First aid cache

 Unspoiled fresh snow

 Fresh snow spoiled

 Leaving my imprint behind

 A view toward Boott Spur

 Passing by the Hermit Lake cabin on the way down

Clouds clearing

A nice coating of snow


 Wildcat D summit

 John Sherburne Ski Trail

 Crystal Cascade

 Final bridge crossing of the day

Back down from Tuckerman Ravine

Clouds clear from the high summits on my drive home









Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!



No comments:

Post a Comment