Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Saturday, October 27, 2018

Hike to Hale Before a Nor'easter


Summits: Mount Hale (4,054')
Trail route: Hale Brook Trail
Trail conditions: Dusting of snow to over a foot of snow but broke out and packed down
Weather: Cloud cover, cold and windy
Total miles: 4.6
Total time: 2:50

With a Nor'easter quickly moving in this morning there was a small window of opportunity to squeeze in a short hike before the precipitation began to fall. Mount Hale was the perfect summit with a round trip hike of 4.6 miles. I was not sure what kind of conditions I would find from the recent snow this week. This would be a solo hike and I would be getting an early start.

I left the house in the dark with the temperature hovering around the freezing mark and a slight breeze blowing. I was unable to see the high summits on the drive to the trailhead due to the darkness. I arrived at Zealand Road and was glad to see that it was bare. When I got to the Hale Brook trailhead there was a light covering of snow on the ground and the wind was blowing. I needed my headlamp to prepare my gear for the hike.

Just as I set out on the trail it was light enough to pack away the headlamp. At the first water crossing I carefully stepped across snow and ice covered rocks. About a mile into the hike it was slippery enough from packed snow and ice to put on my microspikes. It could have been barebooted with occasional sliding but I prefer the traction to avoid this.

As I got further up the trail the snow got deeper. There was probably a foot of snow as I got closer to the summit. It was well broke out with a few sections blown back in and covered. I reached the summit having not seen any hikers yet. I got a panoramic video and a photo of me on the snow covered summit cairn. My fingers were now officially cold and numb. I put on my waterproof mittens with inserts then started my descent.

About halfway back down the trail I met my first hiker and his unfriendly dog. The unleashed dog ran up to me in an aggressive manner barking viciously, baring her teeth and every hair on her back standing up straight. It was very unnerving. The owner hollered up to me that I was the first person she had seen today, whatever that meant. The owner seemed to think the dog's behavior was humorous and quite normal as he didn't bother to leash the dog. I failed to see the humor. We passed each other and I said nothing to him but continued down the trail.

Further down the trail I met a group of hikers with a friendly dog. I warned them about the unfriendly dog up ahead of them. I met many more hikers coming up the trail as I was going down. I couldn't help think that they would be coming back down in precipitation as the storm arrived. The final two hikers I met were coming up in their Halloween costumes. I returned to a full parking lot.

Last month I hiked to Mount Hale in very hot and humid conditions, what a difference a month makes. Seems like we went from Summer to Winter with very little Fall. My plan of getting in a hike today before the storm worked out nicely. Just as I was driving out on the Zealand Road it started to snow. That's what I call great timing!

Enjoy the photos and video!

Almost needed the headlamp

 A thin cover of snow at the beginning of the hike

 Snow and ice on the trail

 A careful water crossing on snow and ice covered rocks

 Small waterfalls are starting to ice up

Snow getting deeper

Partial view

Lots of snow for the month of October

A narrow path through the snow

 The summit is up ahead

 Summit cairn is in sight

 Starting my descent

 Hiking down through a woods full of snow

 Marshfield Station from the Hale Brook Trail

A look back up from where I was

Back down on the Zealand Road

Mount Hale on the drive out






Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment