Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Wednesday, October 31, 2018

A Hike to Mount Garfield Before the Rain


Summits: Mount Garfield (4,500')
Trail route: Garfield Trail, Garfield Ridge Trail
Trail conditions: Bare ground, mud, wet leaves to a gradual increase of snow up to several inches toward the summit
Weather: Cloud cover, cool and slightly windy at the summit
Total miles: 10
Total time: 5:55

I wanted to get one more hike in for the month of October. There was rain in the forecast but not expected to start until midday. I checked the latest weather radar. It looked like I could get up to the summit of Mount Garfield and back down before the rain moved in. I got an early start.

When I left the house it was still dark and there was a sky full of stars, off to a good start! I reached the trailhead just as it was starting to get light. I couldn't quite tell if the clouds had started to move in as I began my hike.

The Garfield Trail started out with wet leaves and sections of mud. At the first water crossing I carefully checked the rocks to make sure they were not ice coated, they were not and it was an easy crossing. Just over a mile into the hike I started seeing the first dusting of snow. As I got further up the trail the snow increased. There were several inches of snow as I got closer to the summit.

When I reached the Garfield Ridge Trail junction I put on my microspikes for the steep climb ahead. As I got to the steep section I was glad to have the microspikes on that provided some traction  for the occasional ice underneath the several inches of snow. When I reached the summit I was rewarded with spectacular views that was provided by the snowy summits against the incoming clouds. I spent longer than expected on the summit capturing the views with my camera with both photos and video. I had the summit to myself.

I could have stayed longer on the summit but began my descent knowing that rain was on the way. About a mile down the trail I met hiker extraordinaire Georg on his way up. Georg, a hiker in his 70's has done the grid three times. We had met before on a previous hike. We talked for a few minutes then went our separate ways. I thought I was setting a good pace. I got back down to my car and Georg arrived a few minutes later after having continued on to the summit after we met then hiked back down. That was an amazing pace!

It was a combination of Fall hiking and Winter hiking today, I enjoyed both. As I was driving away a light rain started to fall. It was another well-timed hike!

Enjoy the photos and videos!

 Barely daylight as I start my hike

 Easy water crossing

Bare ground with wet leaves and a little mud on the lower part of the trail

 A light coating of snow along this section of trail

 A ghostly figure on this Halloween hike

 More snow

 ...and more snow

 Water on the trail

Branches hang with the weight of heavy snow

A beautiful winter scene

Getting close to the trail junction

 Arriving at the Garfield Ridge Trail

 Darker clouds moving in

Starting my climb up the steep section of trail to the summit

 Getting closer to the summit

 Summit is up ahead

 Cloud line can be seen with sun to the south 

 Franconia Ridge

 Mount Flume and Mount Liberty

 Mount Lafayette

 Cannon Mountain

 Twins

 Galehead Hut

Another view from the summit

A view toward the Vermont summits in the distance

 Vole trying to hide 

 Vole running across the snow

 View from the summit

 The northern Presidential summits

Mount Washington summit can be seen on the other side of the ridge

Mount Chocorua peaking up from behind Bondcliff

 Tripyramids

 Osceolas

 Mount Flume

 Mount Liberty

 Mount Lincoln

 Mount Lafayette

View into the Pemigewasset Wilderness


 Ice formations

 One last look before descending

 A view from the trail




 Back down on bare ground

Water crossing

Found a few mushrooms along the trail

Large mushroom

Colorful forest floor

Back at the trailhead







Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!



No comments:

Post a Comment