Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Saturday, July 28, 2018

Waterfalls Along The Howker Ridge Trail


Last night when I went to bed I still wasn't sure what I would be hiking today. My initial plans were for either hiking Mount Moriah or Mount Tecumseh. I woke very early this morning to the sound of thunder and very heavy rain coming down. After the rain stopped I stepped outside and the humidity was oppressive. That definitely dampened my hiking enthusiasm.  I would not be hiking a 4,000 footer today. I thought maybe with all the rain we have had this past week that a hike to some waterfalls might be interesting. I decided on visiting the waterfalls along the Howker Ridge Trail.

There's several waterfalls and cascades along this trail to include Stairs Fall, Coosauk Fall, Hitchcock Fall as well as the Devil's Kitchen, a small gorge that the Bumpus Brook flows through. This would be a short two mile hike round trip. I would be going as far as Hitchcock Fall and turn around there.

I could see the high summits were in the clouds as I arrived at the trailhead. The sun was shining and it was very humid as I started up the trail. There was good water flow coming down the Bumpus Brook but not as much as I had expected. I passed by the various waterfalls and cascades and finally Hitchcock Fall. There was a nice, refreshing cooling effect as I stood next to the rushing water.

On the way back I dropped down into the Devil's Kitchen. It was a careful, slippery climb down. During the entire hike I had to watch my step as everything was wet and very slick. Climbing down into the gorge was no different and was actually easier climbing back up.

As I got closer to the trailhead it was getting noticeably hotter and the same oppressive humidity was still lingering. I was glad that I decided on a short hike. I have a very low tolerance for heat and humidity. While it was good to get out on the trail it was just as good to get back to my air-conditioned vehicle. I look forward to hiking the Howker Ridge Trail to the summit of Mount Madison but on a much cooler day!

Enjoy the pics and video!

A cloud covered Mount Madison

Trailhead

Common yarrow

Indian pipe

Very slippery bog bridges

Mushroom

Not sure what this is

More Indian pipe

Waterfall on the Bumpus Brook

Cascade

Small waterfalls and cascade


Stairs Fall



Devil's Kitchen down there


Tree capturing a rock


Hitchcock Fall

Enjoying the coolness of the cold water rushing by

Down in the Devil's Kitchen



Fireweed

Great Spangled Fritillary butterfly

Close-up of the Great Spangled Fritillary butterfly

Bumble bee

Clouds lifting from Mount Madison as I depart for home




Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment