Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Out and Back to Zealand Mountain


A check of the weather forecast indicated Wednesday would be a good day for a midweek hike. Today I would be hiking to Zealand Mountain (4,260') and back out via Zealand Trail and Twinway. It's a long hike to a viewless summit but there are views along the way.

I got an early start. The sky was overcast and the air was damp. I started out with a long sleeve layer but soon changed out to short sleeves and zipped off the legs on my pants. I was surprised by the amount of humidity. The forecast had the humidity moving out today but it was taking its time. I would find out from several hikers along the way that there was a 3-hour rain in the night. That explained the damp air and dripping tree limbs.

The rain did not have much effect on the low water levels. There was lots of mud in the wetland areas along the trail. It was the lowest water that I had seen on all of my past hikes through here. Zealand Falls was not much to see as the rain did not help that either. I made a quick stop at Zealand Hut. There were several hikers getting ready to continue their hike today. I was soon on my way.

As I went up Twinway the humidity was uncomfortable and I was sweating profusely. I was glad to reach Zeacliff where there was a slight breeze blowing and I knew I had made it up past the steepest part of the hike which still isn't that bad. From Zeacliff I could see the clouds moving out. The views were spectacular. There was one hiker camped out here and woke up while I was about to leave. He said he came up the night before to see the sunrise but the clouds were in the way.

I continued on along Twinway and could feel the air changing, getting cooler and dryer. I reached the unremarkable summit of Zealand Mountain with its awesome summit sign being the only redeeming factor here. A quick pic and I began my return trip of almost 6 miles to the Zealand parking area.

The air was feeling much better and refreshing with each mile. I made another brief rest stop at the Zealand Hut. While there I refilled my water container. Back on the Zealand Trail I met many hikers coming in along the way. There was a cool breeze, full sunshine and a bright , blue sky when I arrived back at the parking lot.

Back at my car I changed, broke out the lounge chair and reviewed my hike with the trail map. I did 11.6 miles in 6 hours and 30 minutes. The earlier humidity really taxed my energy. I rested a bit then packed up and drove home. I was happy to have taken a midweek day off for this hike to Zealand Mountain, my fourth time visiting this summit.

Enjoy the pics and videos!

The hike starts here






Old beaver dam


Reflection on a beaver pond

Common yarrow



We need some rain

Zealand Pond





Not much of a waterfall show with the lack of water

View from Zealand Hut


Zealand Hut



Sheep laurel

Clouds are lifting

Mount Washington in the distance

View from Zeacliff


Bog bridges are very necessary through this section of the Twinway trail


A little help with this ledge

Zeacliff Pond as seen from Twinway trail through the trees

Elephant tree


On the summit


A pond in the distance

Mount Hale

Back down a set of ledges

Descending the water steps

Returning across the bog bridges

Tawny cotton grass

Small ledge scramble

This boulder was not a good anchor for this tree


Returning to Zealand Hut

Taking a short break at the hut

Toppled mushrooms

Purple fringed orchid



Wood sorrel in clover

Easy over blowdown

This bench is conveniently located at the end of the hike







Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!


No comments:

Post a Comment