Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Sunday, July 22, 2018

A Hike Up Cannon Mountain Before the Rain


I thought today was going to be a no-go for hiking with reports of heavy rain and oppressive humidity arriving in the morning. I woke up to cool temps and bright sunshine. A check of the weather radar showed the rain far enough away to probably squeeze in a short hike before it arrived. My pack was ready to go and I was out the door heading to Cannon Mountain (4,100'). I would be hiking up the Kinsman Ridge Trail from the tramway side of the mountain.

High clouds were moving in with some spectacular looking cloud formations. The sun would come and go behind the clouds. I arrived at the trailhead to find the sun shining on the summit of Cannon but it soon disappeared behind the arriving cloud cover. There were several cars in the hiking parking lot so I thought I would probably see some hikers along the way.

I began the moderately steep ascent with the thought of trying to beat the rain this morning. When I reached the upper exposed area of the trail the wind was really starting to blow. There was no reports of lightning in the forecast this morning but the thought was still there on my mind and I quickly moved up through the exposed area.

I reached the Rim Trail, turned right and passed by the Tram Summit Lodge. There was a sign in the window stating "Bar is Open". The door was open and the TV was on, it looked very inviting but I kept on going to the summit. I reached the summit observation tower, dropped my pack and climbed the stairs to the platform. The wind was howling! A quick walk around for photos and I went back down.

While on the tower I saw what looked like rain approaching from the south. The Franconia Ridge was clear but not for long. They would become cloud covered in a matter of seconds and then stayed that way. As I began my hike back to the parking lot the first few raindrops started to fall but that's all there was.

I made a hasty descent through the exposed section of the trail. I was glad to get back into the woods that offered some protection from the wind and any possible rain. There was an occasional few raindrops as I continued down but not enough to even get me wet. As soon as I reached the parking lot the steady rain started to come down. That was perfect timing!

This is a hike that I did not see any other person, no hikers and no tourists on the summit even with the tramway operating. Maybe the weather was keeping them away. With oppressive humidity and rain showers in the forecast throughout the coming week I was very glad to get in a hike before this impending weather arrived.

Enjoy the photos and videos!


Lenticular cloud formation on my drive to the trailhead

My hiking destination

Tramway cable cars pass each other as I arrive at the trailhead

The hike starts here

Echo Lake

Bald Mountain where I hiked last evening

Artist's Bluff where I hiked last evening

Ascending smooth ledge

Another view of Echo Lake from higher up the trail

Sheep laurel

Not much further to the summit observation tower

Heavy clouds to the south moving north

Tram Summit Lodge


A very welcoming sign at the Tram Summit Lodge

Franconia Ridge in the clear

A view to the north

Cannonballs and Kinsmans

South down Franconia Ridge

Clouds start to lower over Franconia Ridge

Just down from the very windy tower platform

Descending

Franconia Ridge cloud covered within minutes

Approaching rain in the distance as I descend

Trying to beat the rain

Trail erosion

Interesting burl

Back down at the trailhead as the rain starts

Steady rain falling in the parking lot

Clouds move over the summit of Cannon Mountain as I drive home






Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!



No comments:

Post a Comment