Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Saturday, July 7, 2018

A Break From the Heat on Mount Monroe


After a week of hot and humid temperatures a weather frontal system came through bringing with it crisp, cool air creating ideal hiking conditions. My hike today would be Mount Monroe (5,372') via the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail. A quick check of the current summit conditions on Mount Washington, the next summit north of Monroe, showed a windchill of 17°F. I would be bringing some warm layers.

It was a beautiful morning and a pleasant drive to the trailhead. The higher summits were in the clear with blue sky above. I had heard that the hiker parking lot at Marshfield Station was now charging $10.00. There is a USFS parking lot for the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail that adds two easy miles to the hike round trip. I already have an annual parking pass and I couldn't see paying for two less miles. There was still plenty of parking when I arrived and I was soon on the trail.

I had one thin long sleeve base layer on to start. About two miles into the hike I went down to short sleeves and shorts. I was passing and leapfrogging with hikers along the way. I stopped at Gem Pool and hydrated as the steep trail was about to begin. Not far up the trail I noticed a beaten down herd path to the right. I had never been in there and thought I might see what was there on the way down. There was lots of hikers as I made my way up.

There was a cool wind blowing as I got higher in elevation. I put the long sleeves and pant legs back on. When the Lakes of the Clouds Hut came into view I got out of the wind and put my fleece on. I knew it was only going to get colder and windier as I made my way to the summit. I stopped briefly at the hut. It didn't seem cold inside but I could actually see my breath.

After a quick break I started up to the summit but not before putting on my fleece, winter hat and gloves. I was very glad that I had brought them. At times I was out of the wind but when I got up to the summit the wind was howling and it was cold. But it sure beat that hot, steamy weather we experienced during the week. Stepping out of the wind behind some ledges brought the temperature back to comfortable. I got some photos and my customary summit video then started my descent. It was all downhill from here.

I made another brief stop at the hut, the number of hikers was increasing. I started down from the hut and as far as I could see down the trail was a line of hikers. It was seldom that I did not see another hiker coming up the trail as I was going down...unbelievable! I've done a lot of hiking in the White Mountains but this was the most hikers I had ever seen on a trail.

When I got down to the herd path I turned and followed it. This side trail brought me to one of the most spectacular waterfalls that I have ever seen while hiking! They came down from what looked like a couple hundred feet. At the bottom was a very deep but clear pool and the bottom was visible. I had the place to myself. I took a nice relaxing break here. After some photos and a video I put my pack back on, walked out to the main trail and continued my hike down.

Hikers kept coming up. I got to Gem Pool and there was a large group sitting there taking a break. I kept going, hikers kept coming. I got to the trail cutoff back to the parking lot. One more mile and I arrived at the trailhead. I could see cars parked along the road which didn't surprise me with the number of hikers I had seen today.

Today was a very nice break from the heat. It was an invigorating hike and I enjoyed the cold wind at the summit. This will not last long and we will probably be back in the heat within a few days. After all, we're not even halfway through summer yet!

Enjoy the photos and videos!

The peak in the middle is my hiking destination

The hike starts here

Easy water crossing

Mossy log

The fern is pointing to the entrance of a hollow tree

Bunchberries still blooming

Washed out trail

Did the log walk

Headwaters of the Ammonoosuc River

Another easy water crossing

Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail

Another section of trail washed out

Looking up the Ammonoosuc Ravine


Gem Pool



A rather unnecessary ladder

A view from the trail



Alpine aven

Cog train on its way up

Cog train comes into view

Summit towers on Mount Washington


Ledge scrambling ahead

Sandwort

Lakes of the Clouds Hut and Mount Monroe come into sight

Mount Monroe

Labrador tea

Moon above Mount Monroe

Summit up ahead

Last few steps to the summit

Mount Washington summit from the summit of Mount Monroe

Northern view from the summit

Southern view from the summit

Enjoying the views

Standing on the summit

Starting my descent

Lakes of the Clouds


A view to the west

Looking up at a waning crescent moon as I descend

Heading back down to the hut

A look back at the hut as I descend


A spur path led me to this spectacular waterfalls




Tree with tentacle-like roots captures this rock

Back at the beginning

Relaxing after the hike and before the drive home

Hikers can be seen on the summit of Monroe as I drive home through Jefferson, NH









Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!


1 comment: