Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Saturday, May 19, 2018

Cannon Mountain via Kinsman Ridge Trail


The weekend weather forecast kept changing throughout the past week. While it initially looked like Sunday would be the better day it turned out that Saturday was the pick. Rain was still in the forecast for Saturday afternoon. I decided to do an early morning short hike to Cannon Mountain (4,100') from the tram parking lot up the Kinsman Ridge Trail.

It was a cool morning but the sun was shining brightly through high thin clouds as I was driving to Cannon Mountain. As I drove past Echo Lake I could see a few remaining snow fields on the Cannon ski slopes. There were two other vehicles ahead of me in the parking lot.

I was still faced with the usual decision of what I might need for traction. Although I didn't think I would need any traction I packed my old microspikes better known as "rock" spikes. About a mile up the trail I met my first hiker that was coming down. She said while there was a few sections of snow, ice and monorail I would probably not need any traction as it was easy to get around or over it.

Sure enough there were a few areas of remaining snow but it was no problem without the spikes. I reached the outlook and there was a cold wind blowing. The views were spectacular but I didn't stop long and continued on to the summit. There was a short section of mud along the way but enough sticks and rocks to step on and make it through without a problem.

I made my way around the Rim Trail and up to the summit. The tram was not operating so there were no tourists and no hikers, I had the place to myself. The wind was howling! I made a quick trip up the observation tower for a few pics and came back down. When I got back down to the trail junction I saw my second hiker of the day. She had come up the Hi-Cannon Trail and found the same trail conditions that I had. I continued my descent.

There were many hikers coming up as I was going down. I took care to watch the slippery areas and managed not to slip or fall. When I got down to the bottom section of the trail I noticed the wildflowers starting to bloom. There was hobblebush, painted trillium and red trillium. This was a sure sign of Spring...finally!

It was a beautiful morning for a hike before the afternoon rain arrived.

Enjoy the pics and videos!

 Driving by Madison and Adams on the way to the trailhead

 Cannon Mountain...my hiking destination

 Looking up from the parking area

 Trailhead 

 The hike starts here

 Some serious trail erosion



 Short section of ice and rotten snow

 Crossing a ski glade

 Echo Lake below

 A view across Franconia Notch

 Echo Lake from further up the trail

 Crossing the ski glade again

 Remaining monorail

 Narrow monorail but room to walk beside it

Ledge outlook 

 Franconia Ridge 

 A view down Franconia Notch

 Observation tower

 Zooming in on the summit tower

 Last bit of snow before reaching the summit

 Getting closer

 Arriving at the Rim Trail

 Memorial bench on the Rim Trail

 View from the Rim Trail

 Arriving at the summit observation tower

 Cannon Balls and the Kinsmans

 A view all the way to Vermont

 Chairlift and tramway summit towers

 A view of Franconia Ridge from the Cannon observation tower

 Lafayette Place parking area far below

 Starting my descent

 Crooked tree

 Muddy section of trail

 A last view of the Franconia Ridge while descending

 Another crooked tree

 A view of Echo Lake through the trees while descending

 Wet ledge on the trail

 Bare limbs on a fallen tree

 Trillium just about to bloom

 Painted trillium


 Hobblebush blooming

Another painted trillium

 Red trillium or Stinking Benjamin

 Hobblebush


Burl hanging over the trail

Clouds move in ahead of late afternoon rain







Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!




No comments:

Post a Comment