Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Sunday, February 4, 2018

Another Snowy Sunday Morning on Waumbek


After a frigid Saturday I postponed my hike to this morning. With some light snow overnight and more forecast for today I was looking for a short hike with a short drive. I decided on Mount Waumbek (4,006'). This is a 7.2 mile hike and about a 40 minute drive for me. Trail reports indicated a solid trail and the need for only microspikes. This would be the second time that I've hiked Waumbek on a snowy Sunday morning.

On the drive to the trailhead there was a high cloud cover over the high summits but they were in the clear and it was not snowing. I arrived at the trail parking lot on Route 2. The trailhead parking area was not plowed. I kept the snowshoes in the car and just took the microspikes. It's a short walk to the trailhead and I was on my way up.

The trail was well packed and solid with just a light coating of new snow on it. I passed a couple that were hiking with a dog and the dog decided to stay with me as I moved up the trail. As the trail went up into the conifers the amount of snow increased and was hanging heavy on the trees. The trail was still solid and it was smooth going up to Mount Starr King.

It was just before I reached the summit of Starr King that the wind started to pick up and there was some light snow starting to fall. There was no view and I continued on to Waumbek. It was along this section of trail that I had to break through some small snow drifts. I was surprised to see sections of the trail where hikers' footprints were completely covered over even though it had only been minutes since they had passed through this area. It was a good example of how quickly a trail can be covered over with wind blown snow.

I reached the summit of Mount Waumbek with a blowing wind and moderate snow coming down. The dog was still with me. His owners soon arrived and when they began their descent I would see them one more time on Starr King. I went past the summit to the outlook on Waumbek and of course there was no view today. I changed into some dry layers before returning to Starr King.

As I started my return trip the wind and snow started to diminish. Back on Starr King I saw the dog one last time before he and his hikers began their descent. The clouds had lifted and there was a partial view. A few photos and I continued my hike back to the parking lot. It was a good hike down and there were many hikers on their way up.

It was 12:10 when I arrived at the parking lot after a four hour hiking time. This was the perfect hike I was looking for today. But after more snow on the way for tonight as well as another storm this week the trail conditions will be changing. It appears I'll be needing the snowshoes on any upcoming hikes.

Enjoy the photos and videos!

High summits in the clear on the drive to the trailhead

A short road walk to get to the trailhead

The hike starts here

Old spring filling with snow

Snow-capped burl



Getting into more snow


Fireplace on Starr King

Lots of snow between Starr King and Waumbek


No view today at the Waumbek outlook

Unbroken trail to the Weeks  mountains

A hiking couple's dog kept tagging along with me

On the summit of Mount Waumbek


On the way back to Starr King from Mount Waumbek

Skies are starting to clear on Starr King

Bretton Woods Ski Area in the distance

A view down in the valley

A look back at Mount Waumbek

Dropping down out of the heavy snow

Trailhead parking lot not plowed

A view while crossing Route 2

Back at the lower parking lot on Route 2









Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment