Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Sunday, January 14, 2018

Sunday Morning Hike to Mount Pierce


Another very cold morning but not nearly as frigid as last Sunday. I would be doing a solo hike to Mount Pierce (4,310') via the Crawford Path. After warm temps and rain over the last couple of days I was wondering what the trail conditions would be like. Water crossings would not be a problem as there are none but was hoping the trail would be frozen solid to avoid postholing.

On my drive to the trailhead it looked like most of the snow on the high summits had been washed away. I also noticed some high water in the streams and rivers along the way. There were many vehicles in the parking area when I arrived but still plenty of room available. Before gearing up I took a short walk up the trail to get some idea what the conditions were. The trail was frozen solid.

I returned to my car and dressed for the cold. I debated with myself whether to take the snowshoes not knowing what the conditions might be at the higher elevations. I ended up carrying them on my pack for the entire hike and only used microspikes up and back. There were many hikers starting their hike just ahead of me so I took my time getting ready to allow them to get up the trail a ways before I got going.

Hikers were still rolling into the parking lot as I started my hike. I was soon at Gibbs Brook. It was slightly higher than normal and ice was rapidly forming from the cold overnight temperatures. Further up the trail I took the short spur path to Gibbs Falls. I have seen this many times before but the falls were looking better than I have ever seen them. Lots of water coming down with lots of ice forming, it was spectacular!

The trail conditions never changed all the way to the Webster Cliff Trail junction. There was some easily avoidable postholes created from yesterday's soft snow and some collapsed snow bridges that were easily crossed. Other than that it was a solid smooth path. Turning onto the Webster Cliff Trail it was mostly ice and bare rocks to the summit.

I took a short break and enjoyed the views. It was cold with a slight breeze blowing. I had a temperature reading of 0°F. My warm oatmeal and hot tea sure tasted good. I was soon on my way back down. The high summits were looking beautiful against the deep blue sky. Hikers continued to stream up.

It was a quick hike down and I passed many more hikers coming up. Back at the parking lot the temperature never did really warm up much. I was getting a reading of 12°F in the full sunshine. The trail conditions were better than I expected with a crystal clear blue sky and spectacular views. It was a great day to be out hiking!

Enjoy the pics and video!

Waning Crescent moon 4% of full as I leave for the hike

 Sun coming up as I get closer to the trailhead

 Eisenhower and Pierce in the distance

 Morning view of the Presidentials

 The hike starts here

 Warning!

 Gibbs Brook

 Frozen dam on Gibbs Brook

 After lots of rain brooks were starting to refreeze


 The spectacular Gibbs Falls


 Crawford Path was frozen solid

 Mount Washington

 Mount Jefferson

Vermont in the distance



 Following the sun to the summit of Mount Pierce

 On the summit of Mount Pierce

Cold on the summit

Enjoying the view

Beginning my descent

Back on the Crawford Path

 Dropping back into the treeline

Easy water crossing

 Frost formations in a brook

 Crossing Gibbs Brook





Back at the trailhead

Sunshine and icy trees

Afternoon view of the Presidentials on the way home





Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!


No comments:

Post a Comment