Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Saturday, December 30, 2017

Zero Degree Buttsled Ride From Hermit Lake


Locked in a cold spell I was finding it difficult to motivate myself to get out and hike a 4,000 footer in this frigid weather. I finally decided to do a short hike up the Tuckerman Ravine Trail and buttsled down the Sherburne Ski Trail. I knew the trail would be well packed and I would not be out in the cold temps for an extended period of time. This was supposed to be the "warm" day of the long holiday weekend.

On my drive through Gorham, NH on the way to the trailhead I noticed a bank sign had a temperature of -1°F. That did not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling as I drove up into Pinkham Notch. When I went by Wildcat Ski Area the parking lot looked full and the chairlift to the top of the mountain was running. Two days before the ski area was closed due to the cold and wind.

I arrived at the Pinkham Notch Visitor Center and there was plenty of parking. I dressed in layers and had already activated the toe and hand warmers. I started my hike up just after noontime. The air was cold but there was no wind. It was actually quite confortable hiking up.

There were many skiers skinning up. The trail was very hard packed and I decided to wear my Hillsound Trail Crampons and that worked out well. It could easily have been bare booted and snowshoes were not necessary, I had left mine in the car. A step off the side of the trail and I was easily in three feet of snow.

When I arrived at the Hermit Lake caretaker cabin the sun had already gone down behind Boott Spur. The temperature felt dramatically colder up here. My thermometer was indicating 0°F with a steady wind and no sun. I put on my down jacket, a warm dry hat and a balaclava. I immediately felt much better. I walked around to keep my feet warm and took a few photos.  I packed away any loose items and strapped my poles to my backpack. I was ready to ride down!

There was a short walk before there was enough of a slope to get my Zipfy sled going. While the Sherburne Trail was well packed down by skiers and snowboarders I still found myself breaking through the soft crusty layer. I activated my Contour video camera and was on my way. There were no icy sections and it was very easy to steer the sled. Once I got going it was a great ride down.

It took me an hour and a half to hike up and fifteen minutes to sled down, that sure beat walking down. I had the entire run down the trail to myself. It was an exhilarating ride and I barely noticed the cold temperature. Back down at the bottom I had strategically parked by the trailhead.

Because I had been riding down and not walking my toes got very cold despite the toe warmers. I started the car, got the heat going and stuck my numb toes in the dashboard heat ducts. I finally got the feeling back and put my shoes on.

According to the forecast the frigid weather will remain for the next several days. I was very glad to have gotten outside today. It was an enjoyable hike up and buttsled down. I hope to continue my winter 48 4,000 foot hikes next weekend.

Enjoy the pics and the video virtual ride down!

An unusual cloud in the sky on my drive to Pinkham Notch

Cold skiing conditions at Wildcat

The hike starts here


A frozen Crystal Cascade

Crystal Cascade


Looking up the Sherburne Ski Trail where I would soon be sledding down

 
Lots of snow on this log

Huntington Ravine Trail is broken out

Windswept slopes above treeline

Tuckerman Ravine Trail was well packed





Lion Head

Boott Spur



Tuckerman Ravine

Arriving at the Hermit Lake caretaker cabin

Very cold at Hermit Lake with a brisk wind

My turn around point

A look back just before I start my ride down

The end of the ride

End of the Sherburne Ski Trail and back at the parking lot

Enjoyed a sunset on the drive home






Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment