Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Sunday, November 26, 2017

Hale Yes!


Sunday morning and I wanted to get one more hike in for the month of November. It was going to be another late start so I was looking for a short hike. Mount Hale seemed to be a good choice. My route for this hike would be the North Twin Trail to the Fire Warden's Trail up and back. The weather forecast was calling for cold and windy conditions.

I was glad to see the gate still open on Haystack Road, otherwise it would have meant a couple of more miles added to the hike. The road had a thin layer of snow on it and was very slippery. The bridge over the Little River was completely ice covered as I drove over it and into the parking lot. There was several vehicles ahead of me in the parking area but not surprising as it was late morning.

There was about an inch of snow on the ground as I started up the North Twin Trail. I reached the notched tree and turned up the Fire Warden's Trail. I met several hikers coming down as I went up. There was a few more inches of snow as I got further up the trail but I never needed traction. Just before the summit there is an excellent view of Mount Washington on a clear day but there would be no views today.

I reached the top and had the summit to myself. It was windy and cold and definitely not a day for lingering. I walked over to the Hale Brook Trail and did not see any footprints, the Lend-A-Hand Trail had no footprints either. It appeared the Fire Warden's Trail was the preferred route to the summit today. I circled the top then started my descent.

It was a quick trip back down to the North Twin Trail then a quicker hike back to the trailhead. I had a good pace and the round trip hike took me 3 hours and 20 minutes. I was glad to get out on the trail today as this would be my last hike for November. December hiking begins next weekend and official winter hiking will soon be here. I'm looking forward to winter hiking and trying to complete my winter 48 4,000 footers.

At the trailhead

The hike starts here on a thin cover of snow

Little River

A snowy brook

Notched tree marks the Fire Warden's Trail to the left

Fire Warden's Trail

Snowball tree

The only view of the day

On the summit

No fresh footprints on the Hale Brook Trail

No footprints on the Lend-A-Hand Trail

Bent tree

There was recent trail maintenance to clear blowdowns

Snowy woods


Mud hole

Snow-capped mushrooms

Back at the North Twin Trail

Little River

Ice starting to form

Snow covered footbridge

Back at the trailhead

Driving back out on a very slippery Haystack Road

A very icy bridge

Little River





Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!



2 comments:

  1. More nice photo Don, thanks. Have a good winter, it is here.

    ReplyDelete