Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Sunday, October 22, 2017

Monroe and Washington and Clay and Jefferson


I postponed my hike one day due to not feeling well. The forecast was calling for spectacular weather all weekend and I was hoping that Sunday was going to be as beautiful as Saturday for my hike. Today I would be solo hiking Mount Monroe (5,372'), Mount Washington (6,288'), Mount Clay (5,533') and Mount Jefferson (5,712'). Mount Clay is the only summit that does not meet the requirements to be counted as an official 4,000 footer. I needed the others for the month of October.

My hiking route would take me up the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail past the Lakes of the Clouds Hut then up to the Summit of Mount Monroe. I would then descend Monroe and take the Crawford Path to Mount Washington. Dropping down from Washington I would take the Gulfside Trail to the Clay Loop trail and cross over Mount Clay descending to the Gulfside Trail again. My hike would continue to the Jefferson Loop and up to the summit of Mount Jefferson for my final summit of the day. The return trip would take me back to the Jewel Trail and down to Marshfield Station for a 12+ mile hike.

I drove into an empty Marshfield Station hiker parking lot before daylight. For the third time this Fall I would be starting the hike with my headlamp. After about a mile up the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail it was light enough to remove the headlamp. I reached Gem Pool and started the steep climb up to Lakes of the Clouds Hut. When I reached the hut, closed for the season, I kept on going up to Mount Monroe. The sun was shining through high clouds and there was no wind. I had the summit of Mount Monroe to myself on a beautiful Sunday morning. It was not until I was descending Monroe that I saw my first hiker. Someone had camped right beside the hut.

I passed the hut and was on my way to Mount Washington on the Crawford Path. I was very surprised at how low the water was in the lakes. I estimated one to be at least three feet low based on the water line on the rocks along the shore. It was a very nice hike to Mount Washington with not much more than a gentle breeze blowing, just enough to make it very comfortable. This weather was very unusual for an October day.

Seems I reached the summit of Mount Washington before the big crowds arrived so I went right to the summit sign and had another hiker take my photo. I didn't stay long as trains and cars were arriving by the minute and I knew the summit would soon be overrun with people. I made my exit from the summit via the Trinity Heights Connector down to the Gulfside Trail and across the cog train tracks. I met several hikers along the way to Mount Clay.

I especially like how the Gulfside Trail hugs the lip of the Great Gulf. One misstep and it would be a long way down. I turned off onto the Mount Clay Loop trail. It would be my first time over this summit. It was a series of ups and downs as I crossed over Mount Clay. I met a couple on the summit and one of them got my summit photo before I began my descent. It was quite a drop down to the Gulfside Trail again.

I continued along the Gulfside Trail and then turned onto the Jefferson Loop trail for my final summit ascent of the day up to Mount Jefferson. There were several hikers on the summit when I arrived. I stayed long enough to get some photos and a panoramic video before starting my hike down to Marshfield Station. It was back down the Jefferson Loop trail and across the Gulfside Trail to the Jewel Trail.

There was a section of the Jewel Trail that was very confusing as it branched off in two directions complete with cairns. I saw two hikers so I went off in their direction but they told me that was the wrong trail. They were on their way back up trying to find the true trail. So I turned around and went down the other trail that turned out to be the right one. Once back on track it was smooth going other than a very painful strained right calf. I slowed my pace slightly which seemed to help.

I easily did the one water crossing at the beginning of the Jewel Trail, crossed the cog train train tracks and popped out onto Marshfield Station after nine and a half hours where I had started my hike before daylight. I was amazed at how nice the weather was during the entire hike. It was a much better day than I was expecting and very unusual for the month of October. It was a spectacular day to be above treeline on the Presidentials!

Enjoy the photos and videos!

 Third time this Fall that I start hiking by headlamp

Sky is getting brighter


 Gem Pool


Early morning sun starting to color the clouds





Stone steps

Sunrise casting a Presidential shadow

First cog train leaving Marshfield Station

Mount Washington

Sun rising beside the Lakes of the Clouds Hut

Mount Monroe

Starting up Mount Monroe

Almost to the summit of Monroe


Getting closer to the summit of Monroe

On the summit of Mount Monroe

A view toward the east

Descending Mount Monroe

On the Crawford Path to Mount Washington

One of the Lakes of the Clouds

A look back at Monroe


Another Lakes of the Clouds with very low water

Mount Monroe and Lakes of the Clouds


A view of the southern Presidentials and the mountains beyond


A line of cairns on the Crawford Path


Mount Washington summit buildings

Arrived on the summit just before the big crowds

Cog train arriving at the summit

Another cog train on the way up

A view of the northern Presidentials from Mount Washington

Mount Clay and Mount Jefferson

Mount Clay

Mount Jefferson

Crossing the cog tracks


Clay, Jefferson, Adams and Madison

Looking into the Great Gulf

Spaulding Lake in the Great Gulf

The Great Gulf Trail on the edge of the Great Gulf

Another cog train going up


On the way to Mount Clay

And another cog train moving toward the summit

Crossing Mount Clay

A grassy stroll on Mount Clay



On the summit of Mount Clay

Mount Jefferson up ahead




The final push to the summit of Jefferson

Mount Jefferson summit pin

On the summit of Mount Jefferson

Zooming over to Mount Monroe


Mount Adams

A view to the west


Lots of quartz in this area

On my way to the Jewel Trail


Looking up at Mount Clay from the Gulfside Trail

Bear scat on the Gulfside Trail

At the top of the Jewel Trail and it's all downhill from here

Descending on the Jewel Trail

Marshfield Station far below from the Jewel Trail

A water crossing at the end of the hike


Down at Marshfield Station

Back where the hike started

A last look at Mount Washington after the hike









Having Fun In The Great Outdoors!


No comments:

Post a Comment