Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Sunday, August 13, 2017

A Misty Mount Monroe


After an exhausting week at work I changed my hiking plans to a shorter hike. My initial plan was to hike to Mount Monroe (5,372') via Tuckerman Ravine. I decided to do the shorter hike up and back on the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail. A check of the forecast indicated a few morning showers followed by clearing weather. I double-checked my pack and made sure I had my rain gear with me.

As I drove to the traihead the skies appeared to be clearing. But traveling up the Base Road toward Marshfield Station it became very cloudy, gray and gloomy. I was getting a late start so the parking attendant was there to collect my $5.00 parking fee. It was still warm enough to start out with shorts and short sleeves. I could see the cog tracks disappear into the clouds and knew that the weather was going to be interesting above treeline.

It was a pleasant hike to Gem Pool and then the trail gets very steep. It was on this steep climb that I started to feel raindrops. I wasn't going to wait for a deluge so I stopped and put on the pack cover and my poncho. I took extra care with my footing as I climbed up onto the wet ledges. It was a little tricky but not a problem.

The wind started to blow and my poncho was not very effective. With the low visibility I was unable to see how close I was to the Lakes of the Clouds Hut. I thought before I get much further above treeline and into windier conditions I should change to my waterproof jacket. I stopped and made the change. As I came around a bend in the trail I could see the hut through the cloudy mist just up ahead. Had I known that I would have waited  to make the rain gear change.

There never was a downpour but there was a heavy mist coming from the cloud cover and a good wind was blowing so it was plenty wet as I arrived at the hut. It was very nice to get inside and take a break. I had something to eat and drink. While I was sitting there I was starting to get chilled so I zipped on my pant legs and a long sleeve layer.

This would be my first time hiking above treeline in low visibility so I took out my map and compass and got some bearings while I was sitting in the hut just in case I might need them. I've hiked to Mount Monroe several times so I was familiar with the terrain. After a longer than usual break I put on a winter hat, rain jacket and pack for the hike to the summit.

Outside the wind and mist were still blowing. As I expected the visibility was low and I could only see from one cairn to the next. There is a very well marked trail to the summit and it was easy to follow, the cairns were an additional aid. I saw two hikers coming down and they told me it was very windy at the top. Then I had the mountain to myself.

I reached the summit and sure enough it was windy, wet, cloudy and of course no views. I stayed long enough to take a few photos and a video then started my descent. I met two more hikers on their way up and no one else. As I got closer to the hut it slowly appeared out of the cloudy mist. I didn't stop and passed right by on my way down.

There were many hikers on their way up as I was going down. I found it just as difficult going down the wet ledgy trail as it was coming up. Careful footing was required to keep from slipping. About halfway down the steep section of trail the clouds started to lift slightly exposing some limited views. After passing by Gem Pool sunshine started to break through the clouds.

When I arrived back at Marshfield Station the weather was warm with lots of sunshine, the complete opposite of where I had just come from. I was sure glad that I had made the decision to do the shorter hike. I'll hike to Mount Monroe via Tuckerman Ravine on a nice clear day with lots of great views to enjoy along the way!

Enjoy the photos!

 Looks like clearing skies on the drive to the trailhead

 Low cloud cover at Marshfield Station

 The hike starts here

Ammonoosuc River







 Low clouds up ahead


 Gem Pool

 A cascade high up on the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail

 Follow the arrow

 Heading into the mist



 Wet ledges

 Lakes of the Clouds hut appears through the mist


Heading to the summit

A view from one cairn to the next


On the summit of Mount Monroe

Back down from the summit at the trail junction


Alpine flowers blooming above treeline










First view of the day



Hungry red squirrel



An entrance through this tree

Back at the trailhead

Cog train on the way up to the summit of Mount Washington

Marshfield Station

Low cloud cover remains after the hike



Clouds linger over the Presidentials after my hike






Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment