Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Gnarly and Nasty Trails to Mount Cabot

Spring hiking can be tough with the varying trail conditions and today was going to be no exception. I would be joining Jill and Larry for a hike up Mount Cabot via the York Pond Trail to Bunnell Notch Trail and Kilkenny Ridge Trail. The forecast was early morning sun to clouds and late afternoon showers with cool temps. I've said it before and it bears repeating, take the weather forecast with a grain of salt and be prepared for anything.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Fire Warden's Trail to Mount Hale Revisited

Today's forecast called for spectacular Spring conditions with warm temps and sunshine. After the rain and warm temps of last week as well as few trail reports the trail conditions were uncertain. I would be joining Jill and Larry today for a hike to Mount Hale (4,054') via the Fire Warden's Trail. Larry and I did this same hike back in January under very cold temperatures, -9°F to start. It was about 40°F warmer at the start of our hike today.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

April Conditions on a Hike to Carter Dome

After not hiking this past weekend I decided to take a day off during the week for a hike to Carter Dome (4,832'). I would be joining fellow hikers Larry and Jill. Our route would take us up the Nineteen Mile Brook Trail to the Carter Dome Trail and onto the Carter-Moriah Trail to the summit of Carter Dome. We planned on taking the same trails back down being concerned that the steep side of Carter Dome going down to Carter Notch would be icy and difficult.

Sunday, April 9, 2017

Midwinter Snow On a Spring Hike to Ike

The weather report was forecasting a spectacular day of warming temperatures with lots of blue sky and sunshine. I've learned to take the weather forecast with a grain of salt because it can completely change when you get to the summit. It was sounding like a good day to go above treeline. The plan was to hike Mount Eisenhower (4,780') via the Crawford Path and also add the short hike up to Mount Pierce (4,310') along the way.

Sunday, April 2, 2017

Lots Of Snow On Wildcat D

A snowstorm on Friday into Saturday brought 18" to the high summits. I was wondering where I might hike today that had the possibility of broken trails. I decided on Wildcat D (4,062') via the Polecat Trail. I figured this ski trail should be well groomed after all the new snow. It would only be a short hike on the Wildcat Ridge Trail to the summit and manageable even if it wasn't broke out.