Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Snowshoeing Tecumseh


Cold temps, wind and snow showers were in the forecast. I had narrowed my hiking choices down to three and at the last minute decided to hike Mount Tecumseh (4,003'). It's a long drive for me and a short hike but it is on the 48 4,000 footer list. Although this would be a solo hike I was expecting many hikers on the trail today.

As I drove to the trailhead the summits along the way were covered in clouds. South of Franconia Notch the sun started to come out. I was hoping for maybe a few views from the summit. I had gotten a late start and while driving to the Waterville Valley Ski area remembered that parking might be an issue. Just as I thought, there were hordes of skiers arriving but I managed to find a parking space close to the trailhead.

The trail was well packed with some recent loose snow on top. I chose to wear snowshoes and they stayed on for the entire hike. As I went up there were many hikers coming down. Some were butt-sliding on the steep parts of the trail, it was perfect conditions. It was a winter wonderland as I got closer to the summit. Recent snow and ice was hanging off the trees.

There were several hikers on the summit when I arrived. I would never quite be alone again for the rest of the hike. It was cold and the wind was blowing, the temperature was 17°.  I put on a down jacket.  My time on the summit was brief and I soon departed after a few photos and a panoramic video.

It was a quick trip back down the trail and I met many hikers on their way up. One hiker remembered seeing me on the trail on my hike to the Osceolas last weekend. As we went our separate ways he jokingly said, "I'll see you on the trail next weekend".

Back at the parking lot the weather, of course, was clearing up nicely just in time for the long drive home. This was the perfect hike for me today as I was feeling rather tired from the work week and this is one of the shorter 4,000 footer hikes. Mount Tecumseh was #25 on my Winter 48 list.

Enjoy the pics!

 The hike starts here

 Easy water crossing

 The trail goes thataway →

 Crooked tree

 A bit of ice

 Bridged water crossing

 Spur trail to the Waterville Valley ski slope

 Nicely packed trail

 Unbroken Sosman Trail


 Left trail was broken and right trail unbroken to the summit

 Limited summit views

 Distant summits were in the clouds

 Trail to Tripoli Road was unbroken

 Descending



 Looking down the ski slope

 Looking up the ski slope


 A view of the Waterville Valley ski slopes through the trees

 Snow-capped mushroom


Back at the trailhead





Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment