Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Sunday, September 17, 2017

A Sunday Stroll to Owl's Head

Another beautiful warm summer day was in the forecast and I decided to do the long hike to Owl's Head. I would be doing the usual route starting from the Lincoln Woods Trail to Franconia Brook Trail turning onto the Lincoln Brook Trail and finally the Owl's Head Path that follows a very loose and steep slide to the summit. It's eight miles of relatively flat, easy trails with some potentially challenging water crossings and then one more steep mile to the summit for a total of 18 miles round trip. It's a very long hike for a viewless summit.

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Up Glen Boulder Trail Down To Isolation and Back

Today would be a solo hike to one summit, Mount Isolation (4,003'), a round trip of 12 miles. My route would take me up the Glen Boulder Trail then down the Davis Path to a spur path up to the summit of Mount Isolation then returning on the same trails. Partly cloudy, cool temps and a possibility of late afternoon showers were in the forecast.

Saturday, September 2, 2017

Twins and Galehead on a Perfect Day

Perfect weather was in the forecast for today and I wanted to hike multiple summits. I would be joining Jill and Larry for a hike to North Twin (4,761') and over to South Twin (4,902') then descend to Galehead Hut and up to the summit of Galehead Mountain (4,024'). Our route would start on the North Twin Trail continuing on to the North Twin Spur down the Twinway Trail to the Galehead Hut then up and back to Galehead on the Frost Trail then down the Gale River Trail for 12 miles of hiking.

Saturday, August 26, 2017

Field and Willey on a Fine Summer Day

A check of the weather showed a nice stretch of perfect days in the forecast with cooler temps and dry air. I looked to see what I needed for August. It had been awhile since I'd done Field and Willey and thought that would be a nice hike for today. I already had Mount Tom for this month so it would only be the two summits and of course Mount Avalon. My hiking route would take me up the Avalon Trail continuing on the A-Z Trail to the Willey Range Trail over Mount Field (4,340') and Mount Willey (4,285') then return on the same trail to the Avalon Trail with a quick stop at Mount Avalon on the way down.

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Cool and Windy Along the Carters

The forecast had today looking better than yesterday with the exception of possible morning showers in the mountains. I would be hiking three of the Carters today. My usual route is a loop starting and ending at 19 Mile Brook trailhead and today would be no different. I would be starting with a road walk to Camp Dodge taking the shortcut trail to Imp Trail up to North Carter Trail and across the Carter-Moriah Trail to Middle Carter (4,610') over to South Carter (4,430') and then depending if there were views up to Mount Hight and Carter Dome (4,832') then down to the Nineteen Mile Brook Trail and back to the trailhead parking area for a 13+ mile loop.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

A Misty Mount Monroe

After an exhausting week at work I changed my hiking plans to a shorter hike. My initial plan was to hike to Mount Monroe (5,372') via Tuckerman Ravine. I decided to do the shorter hike up and back on the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail. A check of the forecast indicated a few morning showers followed by clearing weather. I double-checked my pack and made sure I had my rain gear with me.

Sunday, August 6, 2017

Windy Day on the Hancocks

After rain showers, warm temps and humidity on Saturday a change of weather was in the forecast. There was cooler temps and early clouds to clearing skies for today's forecast. My hike today would take me over the Hancocks. I was going to use the usual route that I have taken the last two times I have hiked these summits. The hike starts on the Hancock Notch Trail then on to the Cedar Brook Trail and around the Hancock Loop Trail clockwise.

Saturday, July 29, 2017

A Magnificent Day for a Leisurely Hike to Garfield

Spectacular weather was in the forecast for this weekend. High clouds, warm temps and low humidity for Saturday with warmer temps and clearer skies for Sunday. Both days were a winner. I had some work to do around the house on Sunday so I would be joining Brian and Jill for a hike to Mount Garfield (4,500') today. This is one of my favorite hikes. It's a gradual 4.8 climb to the Garfield Ridge Trail then a short steep climb to the summit for a 10 mile round trip hike.

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Sultry Hike to Whiteface and Passaconaway

The weather forecast was calling for a warm day with less humidity than yesterday and afternoon thunderstorms for Sunday so today seemed like the day for hiking. I would be joining Amy and Jill for a hike to Whiteface (4,020') and Passaconaway (4,043'). Our route would take us up the Blueberry Ledge Trail to Mount Whiteface then across the Rollins Trail and up to Mount Passaconaway descending on the Dicey's Mill Trail back to the Ferncroft parking area. This is a 12 mile loop hike that has some good ledge scrambling along the way.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Warm Hike Up Signal Ridge to Mount Carrigain

The forecast called for a warm day and partly cloudy skies with possible late day thunderstorms. This sounded like a good day to get an early start and hike Mount Carrigain (4,700'). My hike would take me out and back on the Signal Ridge Trail for a round trip total of ten miles.

Sunday, July 9, 2017

Up Eisenhower Back to Pierce and Out Jackson

After some wet, warm and humid weather this past week there was clearing skies, milder temps and diminishing humidity in the forecast. My hike today would take me to three summits. Going up the Crawford path I would be hiking to Mount Eisenhower then backtrack over to Mount Pierce continuing on the Webster Cliff Trail to Mount Jackson and down the Jackson Branch Trail and finally the Webster-Jackson Trail. This would be an almost 12 mile solo hike.

Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Mount Moosilauke and South Peak Loop Hike

The humidity of recent days was gone and spectacular weather was in the forecast for this Fourth of July. It appeared to be a great day to hike Mount Moosilauke (4,802'). My route would take me up the Gorge Brook Trail to the summit then over to South Peak and down the Carriage Road to the Snapper Trail back over to the Gorge Brook trail completing the loop and back down to the trailhead.

Friday, June 30, 2017

Mount Cabot From Mill Brook

This morning I woke up to the sound of rain falling outside my window. I checked the weather radar and saw that the rain was moving out but there was another small colored blob of rain that would be arriving within a couple of hours. I planned on hiking to Mount Cabot (4,170') from Mill Brook. My route would take me up the Unknown Pond Trail to Unknown Pond onto the Kilkenny Ridge Trail past the Horn and up over the Bulge continuing on to the summit of Mount Cabot then return on the same trails.

Saturday, June 24, 2017

A Wet Muddy Hike to Flume and Liberty

Early morning showers and mid-morning showers with clearing toward noontime was in the forecast for today. Not a total washout but it might get a little wet. I would be joining Mark, Jill, Amy and Jim for a hike to Mount Flume (4,328') and Mount Liberty (4,459'). Our hiking route would start at the Lincoln Woods Trail onto the Osseo Trail up to Franconia Ridge Trail over Mount Flume and continuing on to Mount Liberty then down Liberty Spring Trail to Whitehouse Trail where a car spot would be waiting.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Adams and Madison on a Beautiful Day

I took a couple of days off from work and used one day to go hiking. The weather looked very favorable for a hike above treeline and onto the Presidentials. I decided to hike Mount Adams (5,774') and Mount Madison (5,367'). My route would take me up Valley Way across Airline Cutoff to Air Line to Mount Adams back down the same trails to Madison Spring Hut then up the Osgood Trail to Mount Madison. My descent would take me back down Osgood to Valley Way and out to the Appalachia parking lot. Clear, dry air was moving in after several days of heat and humidity. Cooler temps and lots of sunshine is my kind of weather for hiking!

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Solo Hike to the Twins

A check of the weekend weather and I decided to hike on Saturday to avoid the heat that was forecast for Sunday even though there was a possibility of showers this afternoon. I'm not a fan of heat and humidity so given the choice I'll hike on the cooler day. Saturday looked like a good day to hike up North Twin (4,761') and over to South Twin (4,902'). My route would take me up the North Twin Trail over the North Twin Spur and back down the same trails for an out and back hike.

Sunday, June 4, 2017

Mount Moriah Traverse

With reports of winter conditions on some summits during Saturday it appeared that Sunday was the better day for hiking. I would be joining Jill and Larry for a hike to Mount Moriah. Our route would take us up the Stony Brook Trail from Route 16 to the Carter-Moriah Trail over Mount Moriah and down the Carter-Moriah Trail to Bangor Street in Gorham.

Saturday, May 20, 2017

Up Old Bridle Path and Down Hard on Falling Waters Trail

There was beautiful weather in the forecast so it seemed like a perfect day for a Franconia Ridge loop hike. I would be joining fellow hikers Jill, Brian, Larry, Eric and Mark for a clockwise hike of this loop. I've always done it counter-clockwise. Our route would take us up the Old Bridle Path to Greenleaf Hut then up the Greenleaf Trail to the summit of Mount Lafayette (5,260'). We would then hike across the Franconia Ridge Trail, one of the most beautiful trails in the White Mountains, crossing over Mount Lincoln (5,089') and on to Mount Haystack before turning onto the Falling Waters Trail descending back to the parking lot to complete the loop.

Saturday, May 13, 2017

Wildflowers and Waumbek

I was hoping to get in a hike today but it would have to be after my son's baseball game. Heavy rain was in the forecast for tomorrow as a Nor'easter would be forming over New England so there would be no hiking for me on Sunday. A late day hike would mean a short hike and short drive. Mount Waumbek (4,006') met these requirements and seemed to be the perfect choice. I also needed this summit for May.

Sunday, May 7, 2017

Rain and Monorails to Mount Pierce

With nothing but several days of rain showers in the forecast the thought was to hike during a possible break in the showers and make a go of it. Sunday morning appeared to be rain-free with showers moving in for the afternoon. With all the rain there would be some water crossings on certain trails that are difficult and possibly hazardous. The decision was made to hike Mount Pierce and Mount Eisenhower. I would be joining fellow hikers Jill and Larry.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Gnarly and Nasty Trails to Mount Cabot

Spring hiking can be tough with the varying trail conditions and today was going to be no exception. I would be joining Jill and Larry for a hike up Mount Cabot via the York Pond Trail to Bunnell Notch Trail and Kilkenny Ridge Trail. The forecast was early morning sun to clouds and late afternoon showers with cool temps. I've said it before and it bears repeating, take the weather forecast with a grain of salt and be prepared for anything.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Fire Warden's Trail to Mount Hale Revisited

Today's forecast called for spectacular Spring conditions with warm temps and sunshine. After the rain and warm temps of last week as well as few trail reports the trail conditions were uncertain. I would be joining Jill and Larry today for a hike to Mount Hale (4,054') via the Fire Warden's Trail. Larry and I did this same hike back in January under very cold temperatures, -9°F to start. It was about 40°F warmer at the start of our hike today.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

April Conditions on a Hike to Carter Dome

After not hiking this past weekend I decided to take a day off during the week for a hike to Carter Dome (4,832'). I would be joining fellow hikers Larry and Jill. Our route would take us up the Nineteen Mile Brook Trail to the Carter Dome Trail and onto the Carter-Moriah Trail to the summit of Carter Dome. We planned on taking the same trails back down being concerned that the steep side of Carter Dome going down to Carter Notch would be icy and difficult.

Sunday, April 9, 2017

Midwinter Snow On a Spring Hike to Ike

The weather report was forecasting a spectacular day of warming temperatures with lots of blue sky and sunshine. I've learned to take the weather forecast with a grain of salt because it can completely change when you get to the summit. It was sounding like a good day to go above treeline. The plan was to hike Mount Eisenhower (4,780') via the Crawford Path and also add the short hike up to Mount Pierce (4,310') along the way.

Sunday, April 2, 2017

Lots Of Snow On Wildcat D

A snowstorm on Friday into Saturday brought 18" to the high summits. I was wondering where I might hike today that had the possibility of broken trails. I decided on Wildcat D (4,062') via the Polecat Trail. I figured this ski trail should be well groomed after all the new snow. It would only be a short hike on the Wildcat Ridge Trail to the summit and manageable even if it wasn't broke out.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Hike To Hermit Lake and Sled Down Sherburne

I spent Saturday laying low and relaxing due to not feeling well. Today I felt better but decided not to take on a 4,000 footer and instead find a short hike just to get some fresh air. It was supposed to be a beautiful day so I thought a hike up to Hermit Lake and sledding down the Sherburne Ski Trail would be just what the Doctor ordered!

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Monroe and Washington on the Last Day of Winter

There was spectacular weather in the mountains yesterday and I was hoping for a repeat today. The forecast was looking like a great day to hike above treeline. This would be the last hike on the last full day of Winter. The summits for today's hike would be Mount Monroe (5,372') and Mount Washington (6,288). I would be joining fellow hikers Mark and Jill. These two summits would complete Mark's Winter 48 4,000 footers!

Monday, March 13, 2017

Solo on the Kinsmans

After a weekend of frigid temps and extreme windchills I decided to hike on Monday. While not as cold as the weekend it was still cold but without the strong winds. Today I would be hiking North Kinsman (4,293') and South Kinsman (4,358'). My route would take me up the Mount Kinsman Trail to the Kinsman Ridge Trail over North Kinsman continuing on to South Kinsman and returning on the same trails.

Sunday, March 5, 2017

A Cool Crisp Hike to Galehead

It was a very cold Saturday with frigid wind chills well below zero. Although not as cold as yesterday, today's weather forecast was again calling for windchills below zero especially on the summits. I would be joining fellow hikers Jim, Jill, Robin, Amy D. and Amy L. for a hike to Galehead Mountain (4,024'). Our route would start on the Beaver Brook cross country ski trail over to the Gale River Loop Road and up the Gale River Trail to the Garfield Ridge Trail past the Galehead Hut to the Frost Trail and up to the summit of Galehead Mountain. We would return on the same trails.

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Carter Notch After the Refreeze

This past week saw unseasonably warm temperatures with heavy rain last night followed by very cold temperatures. I was anxious to check out the trail conditions and water levels. After a very late start I decided to hike up to the Carter Notch Hut and would not be hiking any summits today. Just wanted to get out on the trail and stretch the hiking legs.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Mount Moosilauke For #48 Second Round

The weather forecast was calling for a windy day with unseasonably warm temps and a possibility of rain or snow showers in the afternoon. I would be joining up with fellow hikers Brian, Jill and Mark for a hike up Mount Moosilauke. Our route to the summit would be on the Snapper Trail and Gorge Brook Trail returning on the same trails. This summit would complete my second round of the 48 4,000 footers. It just so happens that Mount Moosilauke was #48 on my first round.

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Wildcat D on the Edge of a Nor'easter

I had no firm plans on hiking today with a Nor'easter bearing down on New England. I would make my decision to hike when I got up to Pinkham Notch and evaluate the current weather conditions. My summit of choice was Wildcat D (4,062'). This solo hike would take me up the Polecat ski trail so I wouldn't need to concern myself with breaking trail.

Sunday, February 5, 2017

What's Up Willey?

What's up Willey? I was up Willey today. After spending the last couple of days fighting off some sort of minor "bug" I was ready to get in a hike and some fresh air. I needed Mount Willey (4,285') for my Winter 48 4,000 footer list. Many hikers usually include Mounts Tom and Field but I'd already done those in the winter. My planned route would be up the Ethan Pond Trail to the Willey Range Trail then up to the summit of Mount Willey and back down the same trails.

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Snowshoeing Tecumseh

Cold temps, wind and snow showers were in the forecast. I had narrowed my hiking choices down to three and at the last minute decided to hike Mount Tecumseh (4,003'). It's a long drive for me and a short hike but it is on the 48 4,000 footer list. Although this would be a solo hike I was expecting many hikers on the trail today.

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Wet and Windy on the Osceolas

I was looking to do a twofer this weekend. I had several in mind and decided to hike Mount Osceola (4,340') and East Osceola (4,156') from the Kancamagus Highway. This would be my first winter hike of these summits and I would be doing them solo today.

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Winter Hike to Mount Carrigain

Seasonal temps and fair skies were in the forecast for today, a great day for a long hike. Mount Carrigain (4,700') would be today's hike and I was joining fellow hikers Jim, Amy and Jill. This is a 10 mile long hike but longer in winter due to the 2 mile road walk to the the trailhead in winter. So today would be a 14 mile hike.

Sunday, January 8, 2017

Mount Hale via the Fire Warden's Trail

A very cold weekend was in the forecast so I was looking at hiking something below treeline that offered some protection against any wind that might be blowing. The decision was made between fellow hiker Larry and I to hike Mount Hale (4,054') via the Fire Warden's Trail. I've been wanting to hike this route, Larry has done this trail before. The usual route that I take is the Hale Brook Trail but in the winter Zealand Road is closed and that adds a two mile road walk. This would be about the same mileage but no road walk.

Sunday, January 1, 2017

New Year's Day Hike on Cannon Mountain

The first day of the New Year and there was a hike planned for Cannon Mountain. I would be joining fellow hikers Jill, Larry, Amy and Jim. Our plan was a loop hike using the Lonesome Lake, Hi-Cannon and Kinsman Ridge Trails. There was a light dusting of snow last night after a recent heavy snowfall. We would make our decision of which way to go based on trail conditions. The weather forecast called for cold temps, breezy and partly cloudy skies.