Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Boott Spur Trail


My initial hiking plan for this weekend was a loop around the Tuckerman and Huntington Ravines using Nelson Crag Trail over to Boott Spur. I was ready to walk out the door Saturday morning when the large blob of colors on the doppler radar hit and we got a two hour downpour. That was enough for me and I decided to postpone my hike for one day. Continuing questionable weather had me planning a shorter loop up Boott Spur and around to the Glen Boulder Trail. This would also change.

Lingering fog as I leave for the trailhead

Sunrise behind the clouds

Summits in the clouds

Crystal Cascade

Going up the ladder

I got an early start on a nice cool morning. The sun was rising above the clouds and off in the distance I could see the cloud covered summits. I was beginning to think that this would not be a day for traveling above the treeline.

View from first outlook

Cloud bank




There was plenty of room in the Pinkham Notch parking lot. Looking up I could see a heavy cloud cover above treeline and the clouds were moving quickly down into the ravines. I was on the trail at 6:30. Once again I was on my own and I saw no other hikers on the trail. With all the rain we have had I expected the trails to be much wetter and muddier but it was not bad.

Clouds descend Tuckerman Ravine



Hermit Lake far below

A patch of blue

Reaching the first outlook I could see there was no letup in the cloud cover. The sun was shining on me but the summits were covered and the wind was also picking up. I snapped some photos and moved on up the trail.

Old log bridge


Going down the ladder

I arrived at the ravine outlook and decided my ascent would be ending here. The wind was howling, the clouds were relentless, there were thunderstorms on the way and my earlier headache was still pounding. I'm not in the habit of terminating a hike but there were enough factors to make it less than enjoyable moving above the treeline. So I reluctantly started my descent.

Clouds move out

Clouds move in

I'll save the hike up Nelson Crag around the ravines to Boott Spur for a better day. While I didn't complete my planned hike it made for a nice walk in the woods on an early Sunday morning. That's the beauty of living up here in the mountains!

A view from Ravine Outlook on the Boott Spur Trail


Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment