Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Finding (Winter Storm) Nemo



Winter Storm Nemo!? Since when did we start naming Nor'easters...and who comes up with the name? It appears southern New England took the brunt of this storm. Up here in the North Country it was a minimal storm at best. We got maybe 8-10 inches depending on where you placed the measuring stick. Winds were on the mild side. I decided to venture outdoors in my quest of finding (Winter Storm) Nemo...or at least take in the winter scenery from what little snow we got from this storm.





There was probably not enough snow to warrant the new tails I bought for my MSR Denali Ascent snowshoes but I wanted to try them out. The Arctic air was still lingering and it was a very cold afternoon. I bundled up, grabbed the snowshoes and set out for a walk along the Ammonoosuc River.





The first thing I saw when I got to the river was piles of huge ice slabs along the banks. This was from the January thaw and flooding rain storm we got 10 days ago. It's amazing how a powerful raging river can move around tons of ice. The river has since receded and is freezing over again.





I walked across an open field and up into the forest, trees heavy with new fallen snow. It was quiet with just the sound of the flowing river. I was first to break the trail and it wasn't that difficult given the small amount of snow from our latest Nor'easter.





It was late in the afternoon, I reached a bend in the river and decided to make this my turn around point. The return trip was just as nice and getting colder.




As I returned to my vehicle the clouds were beginning to break and skies were clearing. The sun was setting as I made my way home and the last remnants of Winter Storm Nemo departed the area.


Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment