Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Sunday, January 6, 2013

An Afternoon of Snowboarding


It's usually a last minute decision as to whether we will bring the skis or snowboards. This was planned in advance and my little buddy and I would be snowboarding for the first time this season. The weather was very cloudy with snow flurries and temps in the 20's. There would be no stunning scenery shots from Bretton Woods today. The only photo of any summit would be Mount Moriah as we were leaving Gorham.



A swing through the first parking lot and I was able to find a vacant parking spot right in front of the lodge. While getting ready I was asked by several people if we were leaving. That's the sign of a good parking space. We grabbed our boards and were off to buy lift tickets.



I still consider myself a novice snowboarder and a very proficient skier. It would take several runs down the beginner slope to get my snowboard legs ready for the upper mountain. As I was passing one of the snowboard instructors waiting for his students he hollered out,"grays on trays!" I had never heard this before. He pointed to his gray Fu Manchu and to my beard indicating older guys that are into snowboarding. We spoke for a few minutes and he gave me some free snowboard tips. I think I'm going to have to shave off my beard.



My son and I moved over to the chairlift that would take us to the upper part of the mountain. I found this run down to be much more fun than the beginner slope and my snowboard legs were starting to return. The trail conditions were outstanding with powder and packed powder which made the riding very enjoyable.


Time flies when you're having fun and the snowboard legs were getting tired. My son did one more run down the beginner slope and we called it a day. The sky never cleared this afternoon and we did not see the usual spectacular background of the Presidentials but it was hardly noticeable with the fantastic snow conditions on the trails. Just to freshen things up, another 1 to 3 inches of snow are forecast for tonight! 


Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment