Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Monday, January 16, 2012

Cross-country Skiing at Dolly Copp


It was a cold, crisp day and the conditions were right for cross-country skiing. I set out for Dolly Copp campground. While I had been here camping many times throughout my life I had never been here in the winter. I arrived to find no one around, I had the place to myself!














It didn't take long for me to snap into my skis and I was on my way. There was a quiet solitude as I was gliding through the campground. Passsing the Imp view I noticed a frosty white beard on this cliff face. I reminisced about long ago camping trips to Dolly Copp. This is a place that has not changed since I came up here in my youth.














I made my way to the Great Gulf Link trail that parallels the Peabody River. Being a mild winter there was some rock exposure but for the most part it was good skiing. At one point on the side of the trail there was a set of ledges that had a spectacular ice formation over them. To the other side of the trail was the frozen Peabody River.














Too soon it was time to turn around and head back. I saw no one on the return trip. Someday I'll have to visit again after a fesh coating of snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment